In honor of our friend and partner Dixie Reale, we are seeking recipes and stories for a new anthology of recipes from the Snake River Plain. Dixie wrote a weekly column from 1999 to 2009 for The Times-News and its supplement the Ag Weekly called “Grandma’s Recipe Box.” She was always sharing her recipes along with funny anecdotal stories. In that tradition we are looking for recipes and the stories behind them. The stories may be fiction, non-fiction, poetry or essays related to a family recipe.
1) The following word limits will be considered:
For fiction, nonfiction, essays and poetry – a story up to 500 words. Recipes are not included in the word count.
2) You may submit more than one recipe. There is no entry fee.
3) Preference will be given to Idaho writers and/or recipes relating to Idaho.
4) Use standard manuscript format—double-spaced, 12pt serif font Times, Times New Roman, or Courier New with one-inch margins. Poetry may be single-spaced. Please incorporate your submission into the body of an email or attach entry as a PDF file. No other attachments will be opened.
5) Include your name, address, email address, phone number and word count with your submission.
6) Submissions will be accepted until April 1, 2014. We plan to release the anthology in the fall of 2014. Please send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the words “recipe anthology submission” in the subject line. We will accept email entries only. You can submit your entry here.
7) If your story is accepted, you will receive one printed copy of the book.
Dixie loved to write and we would encourage you to have fun writing. We envision this anthology as a collection of great Idaho recipes and stories. This is your opportunity to share your family’s favorite recipe with others as well as see some of your work in print.
For inspiration check out Dixie’s story and recipe Celebrate harvest bounty with fresh fruit printed in the Ag Weekly on August 29, 2009.